Friday, May 11, 2012

Wisteria, Quince Tree And Blending Silk Ribbon

The wisteria, worked according to my sketch was finished this morning, but I am not quite happy with how it looks in the big picture. It might need to be extended a bit with another cluster of flowers, I think. I'll leave it as it is for the day and make a decision during the weekend.


After stitching the wisteria, I auditioned about three or four shades of light pink silk ribbon for the quince tree flowers, and none of them seemed to do the trick. I imagined something very close to what you can see in this picture bellow:


I thought that maybe a variegated silk ribbon with very short segments of white and pink would be great, but I have no such thing in my stash, neither have I overcome my dyeing phobia yet... 
Pointing my finger to my temple to think, think, think, while holding one piece of pink and one of white ribbon in my other hand, it suddenly hit me: I could just as well try and thread my needle with two ribbons at the same time. It worked like a charm: as if I had a ribbon that was white on one side and pink on the other.



The French knots made with the two blended silk ribbons gave almost exactly the same result that I had imagined initially, and they also gave a bit more dimension to the flowers.


Here and there I stitched some more French knots with only one "strand" of white or pink ribbon.


Now to add all the cast on flowers to the lavender blue patch on the top, and while working on those, to get ideas for the paths and to decide about the extension of the wisteria...


Have a happy weekend, Everyone!

15 comments:

Marjolein said...

Sometimes does that happen. You think in a certain direction and suddenly you say: "why not....".
Thinking out of the box.
The two ribbond look beautiful together. The whisteria seems a bit heavy on the left side. Would it look better with smaller clusters?

Patty C. said...

Beautiful work - as always!

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

This is gorgeous!

Lee Albrecht said...

Um lindo jardim de primavera.
Desejo um Feliz Dia das Mães... um domingo abençoado e com muitas alegrias.
beijos

Nouli said...

I can hear your humming needles and the gears of your mind working!....

Елена1979 said...

Ну очень красиво!!!

Mosaic Magpie said...

You may have invented a new technique! The 2 ribbon in the needle technique. It is looking so very nice and threading those to ribbons together was a stroke of genius!
Deb

Suztats said...

Lovely SRE, and i await with anticipation the next part of this piece.

EL RINCON DE CHELO said...

Tus bordados son preciosos!!! como me gustan, besos

EL RINCON DE CHELO said...

Tus bordados son preciosos!!! como me gustan, besos

Kriszty said...

Mestermunka...szerintem...

Palkó said...

Hihetetlenül gyönyörű, amit alkotsz! Mély tisztelettel figyelem... :)

Laurie said...

Stunning! Love the two ribbon idea!

Estrella said...

As always..... marvellous works! You´ve got fairy hands...... hugs,

Estrella

NickiLee said...

I was waiting to see how this piece turned out - absolutely stunning! I want to be you when I grow up - love everything you make.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...